Bloodchild (2 points)

 1. What is your reaction to the text you just read?

My immediate reaction to this short story is that it is very strange. It is definitely interesting. Strangely, I have always wondered what it would be like if a male became pregnant and gave birth. The author creates a very original and bizarre concept that is weird but very intriguing.

2. What connections did you make with the story? Discuss what elements of the story with which you were able to connect?

I most connected to the idea of two very different things developing a relationship. In the story, it was two different species of living things from different worlds. I think this idea can be applied to human relationships. Sometimes the best friendships and relationships are with people that we would never expect to be friends with. This story takes a very odd approach to this idea. Things get extreme quickly but when you put this idea in simpler terms, it can be connected to regular human relationships.

3. What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you choose; what changes would you make?
Being a filmmaker, I would adapt this into a film. I think there is enough material to expand it into a full length feature film, but I think containing it into a short film would be most effective. The story was quite abstract and I admired it's originality. I don't think I would change much if I adapted this into a short film.

4. Are there elements of this work that you would consider afro-futurist?
This short story seems to take on the idea that every living thing is equal. Humans come to a world where they connect with another species. They do not think about one being more superior to the other and they shouldn't. I think the ideas developed in this short story are heartwarming in some ways. However, the heartwarming elements are combined with very disturbing ones.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Frankenstein (6 points)

Hitchhiker's Guide Book 1 (4 points)